$1,000 STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The credit union movement was founded on the philosophy of “People Helping People”. In keeping with our philosophy, Dort Federal Credit Union has established a student scholarship program to help our members achieve their higher educational goals. We will award seven (7) scholarships this year in the amount of $1,000 each to graduating high school seniors or older students seeking to further their education after high school. Members who have been accepted as full-time students to an accredited institution of higher learning may apply by March 2, 2018.
APPLICATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED NOW!
Download the Scholarship Application (click here).
- Student applicant must have been a member in good standing of Dort Federal Credit Union for a minimum of one year (student must be primary account holder and account must have been opened on or before March 2, 2017).
- Applicant must be a high school graduate in 2018 (or earlier) with a minimum GPA of 2.5 in high school (or a minimum GPA of 2.5 in one full year of post-high school education, if applicable).
- Acceptance required as a full-time student at an accredited institution: university, community college, trade school or vocational school.
- Applicant must write an essay (150-200 word maximum) describing what the credit union philosophy of “People Helping People” means to him/her.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from influencing adults: teacher, coach, counselor, community leader, employer, etc. must be submitted.
- Special consideration will be given to students who have been involved in extracurricular and/or community service activities.
- Application must be postmarked or received at any Dort Federal Credit Union branch by close of business on Friday, March 2, 2018.
How to Apply:
- Print and complete the Dort Federal Credit Union Scholarship Application and Authorization Release form (if applicable). (click here)
- Include an official copy of your High School Transcripts and any post-high school transcripts, if applicable.
- Include a copy of your Letter of Acceptance as a full-time student to an accredited institution: university, community college, trade school, or vocational school.
- Include a 150-200 word essay explaining what the credit union philosophy of “People Helping People” means to you.
- Include two (2) Letters of Recommendation from influencing adults (for example: a teacher, coach, counselor, community leader, employer – may not be from a relative).
- Application must be postmarked or received at any Dort Federal Credit Union branch by close of business on Friday, March 2, 2018. Send completed application to: Dort Federal Credit Union, Scholarship Committee, 9048 Holly Rd., Grand Blanc MI 48439. If you have questions, please call (810) 767-8390.
Application must be received or postmarked no later than March 2, 2018. Late or incomplete applications will be disqualified. Supporting documents may be mailed separately. The scholarship check will be made payable jointly to the recipient and the educational institution, or individually to the recipient or institution, at the discretion of Dort Federal Credit Union. All application information will be kept strictly confidential. Scholarships will be awarded by July 31, 2018.
All complete applications will be reviewed by volunteer members of Dort Federal Credit Union’s Board of Directors and awards will be determined in a fair and consistent manner. Dort Federal Credit Union does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, marital status, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability. Employees and volunteers of Dort Federal Credit Union and their family members are eligible to apply.